Women who have bacterial vaginosis may benefit from treatment with MetroGel-Vaginal. This prescription drug comes in the form of a gel that is applied once or twice a day for five days. It is an antibiotic that kills certain types of vaginal bacteria. Although most women tolerate this medicine well, side effects are possible and include digestive discomfort, vaginal discharge, and vaginal yeast infections.
What Is MetroGel-Vaginal?MetroGel-Vaginal® (metronidazole vaginal gel) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (BV), a condition involving an overgrowth of certain types of vaginal bacteria. It comes as a gel that is applied once or twice daily. MetroGel-Vaginal should not be confused with regular Metrogel®, a skin product used to treat rosacea.
How Does It Work?This medication contains metronidazole, an antibiotic that kills certain types of bacteria, including those that usually cause bacterial vaginosis. This allows the normal vaginal "flora" (the bacteria that reside in the vagina) to return to a more normal and healthy balance.
When and How to Use MetroGel-VaginalSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with MetroGel-Vaginal include the following:
- Using the enclosed applicator, apply this medication once or twice a day for five days. The box should come with five applicators and instructions for use.
- If you are using it twice a day, you will need to reuse the applicators; wash them in warm, soapy water between uses. If you are using it just once a day, you will have enough applicators and can simply throw them away after use.
- If you are using MetroGel-Vaginal just once a day, using it at bedtime is usually more convenient, as lying down helps decrease the bothersome "leakage" of the product that often occurs.
- You should not have sex while using this medication.
- For MetroGel-Vaginal to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.