STD Home > What You Need to Know About Zovia
When and How to Use ZoviaSome general considerations for when and how to use the medication include the following:
- Zovia comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day, at the same time each day.
- Each pack of Zovia contains 28 pills. Make sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one right away, even if you are still having your period. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- You can take Zovia with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food. The high estrogen content in Zovia 1/50 (but not Zovia 1/35) may significantly increase the risk of stomach upset.
- It is important to take Zovia every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that is easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.