STD Home > Understanding How to Take Vestura and Its Effects
Effects of VesturaThe brand-name version of Vestura (Yaz®) was shown to be an effective birth control method in a large clinical trial. In this study, for every 100 women who used the drug for a year, 1 or 2 became pregnant.
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Vestura include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Vestura with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Vestura contains 28 pills. Make sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one the next day, without letting any days pass in between packs. You will probably get your period during the last few days of the pack or, sometimes, during the first few days of the new pack.
- It is important to take Vestura every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For this product to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.