STD Home > How Velivet Works and Treatment Tips
How Does Velivet Work?Velivet belongs to a group of birth control pills known as combined oral contraceptives, which means that it contains two different types of hormones. It contains both an estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and a progestin (desogestrel). Combined oral contraceptives are the most commonly used type of birth control pill.
When and How to Use VelivetGeneral considerations for when and how to use Velivet include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day, every day, and at the same time each day.
- You can take Velivet with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Velivet contains 28 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one right away. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- It is important that you take Velivet every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Velivet will not work if you stop taking it.