STD Home > Precautions and Warnings With Saquinavir
There are several precautions and warnings with saquinavir to be aware of before starting treatment. For instance, tell your healthcare provider if you have certain health conditions, such as liver disease, diabetes, or hemophilia. The medication can make these conditions worse. Precautions and warnings with saquinavir also extend to people with certain allergies and women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Saquinavir: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking saquinavir mesylate (Invirase®) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- High cholesterol or high triglycerides
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Low magnesium levels (hypomagnesemia)
- Low potassium levels (hypokalemia)
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.