STD Home > Safyral Warnings and Precautions
Safyral can increase blood pressure, blood sugar, and the risk of liver tumors. Because this birth control pill is not suitable for every woman, it's important to discuss the drug's warnings and precautions to ensure that Safyral is right for you. If you have certain medical conditions (such as liver disease, kidney disease, or heart disease), you should not take it at all.
What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Safyral™ (drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol/levomefolate calcium) if you have:
- Problems with your heart valves
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- Gallbladder disease
- High cholesterol
- A history of blood clots or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain
- Adrenal insufficiency
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure).
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Smoke cigarettes
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.