STD Home > Pirmella Side Effects
Bloating, nausea, and breast tenderness are among the commonly reported side effects of birth control pills, including Pirmella. In most cases, side effects are minor and easy to treat. However, serious reactions can also occur. If you develop a migraine, depression, or other serious reactions, contact your healthcare provider right away.
As with any medicine, Pirmella™ (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) can cause side effects. However, not all women who use this birth control pill will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Often, many of the bothersome Pirmella side effects improve (or even completely go away) within the first few cycles of use.
Some side effects with Pirmella, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported to your healthcare provider right away. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of a blood clot in the leg, such as:
- Leg cramps
- Pain in the calf
- Leg or foot swelling
- Signs of a stroke, such as:
- Weakness or numbness in an arm or leg
- Vision or speech changes
- Severe headache
- Sudden loss of vision or vision changes, which can be a sign of a blood clot in the eye
- Signs of a blood clot in the lung, such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Sharp chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Chest pain or heaviness, which may be signs of a heart attack
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Dark urine
- Upper-right abdominal (stomach) pain
- Depression or other emotional changes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Migraines (or changes in your migraines, if you have had them before)
- Breast lumps
- Heavy vaginal bleeding between periods (although light bleeding or spotting is normal)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
These serious side effects are not unique to Pirmella but can occur with most birth control pills.