STD Home > ParaGard Side Effects
Side Effects to ReportSome side effects of ParaGard are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), such as:
- Prolonged or heavy vaginal bleeding
- Unusual vaginal discharge
- Lower abdominal (stomach) pain
- Pain during sex
- Fever and chills
- Severe pain within a few hours after insertion of ParaGard, which could be a sign of a dangerous infection
- Embedment of the IUD within the uterus, which may result in the need for surgical removal
- Perforation of the uterine wall, which can result in:
- Damage to other organs
- The need for surgery
- Signs of an ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus), such as:
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Severe abdominal (stomach) pain
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Let your healthcare provider know if at any time you cannot feel the removal threads of ParaGard. This could mean that the device has:
- Become displaced or lost from the body
- Perforated the uterus.
Your healthcare provider can check the location of ParaGard using an ultrasound or an x-ray.