STD Home > Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Warnings and Precautions
Since there are many potential side effects of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, warnings and precautions for the birth control pill should be discussed with your healthcare provider. Combined oral contraceptives like Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo may increase your risk of high blood pressure, blood clots, and breast cancer. Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo warnings and precautions also apply to people with heart disease, hypertension, or liver tumors.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo® (norgestimate/ethinyl estradiol) if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- A history of blood clots or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- High cholesterol
- Gallbladder disease
- Heart valve problems
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Will be having surgery
- Smoke cigarettes
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.