STD Home > Taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo Safely
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo contains 28 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new pack right away. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo comes in special packaging called a Dialpak®. Make sure you know how the Dialpak works, such as where to start and how to remove the pills.
- It is important that you take Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo will not work if you stop taking it.