STD Home > Treatment Info for Ogestrel
When and How to Use OgestrelSome general considerations for when and how to use Ogestrel include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day, at the same time each day.
- Each pack of Ogestrel contains 28 pills. Make sure to take them in order. Once you have finished a pack, start a new one right away, even if you are still having your period. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- You can take Ogestrel with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food. The high-estrogen content in Ogestrel may significantly increase the risk of stomach upset, compared to other birth control pills.
- It is important to take Ogestrel every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that is easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.