STD Home > MetroGel-Vaginal Overdose
Although there have not been any reported cases of an overdose on MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole vaginal gel), it is probably possible for someone to use too much of this medication. If an overdose occurs, the specific effects would depend on how much was used and whether it was used as directed or swallowed. Treatment will likely involve stopping the medicine and treating any symptoms that result.
Can You Use Too Much MetroGel-Vaginal?MetroGel-Vaginal® (metronidazole vaginal gel) is a prescription medication approved to treat bacterial vaginosis. As with most medications, it is probably possible to use too much. The specific effects of an overdose would vary, depending on a number of factors, including the MetroGel-Vaginal dosage and how it was taken (applied as directed or taken by mouth).
Effects of an OverdoseThe effects of a MetroGel-Vaginal overdose are largely unknown, as there have not been any reported cases of overdoses with this product. Although the amount of metronidazole absorbed into the bloodstream is quite low when it is used vaginally, thus limiting the risks from an overdose, at least theoretically, enough of the drug could be absorbed to cause problems.
- Coordination problems.