STD Home > Lopinavir and Ritonavir Dosing
If you have three or more lopinavir resistance viral mutations, twice-daily dosing with lopinavir and ritonavir is recommended. Other factors that will influence when and how you should take this drug include your age and weight. Your healthcare provider may suggest a higher dose of this drug if you are taking certain other HIV medications.
The dose of lopinavir and ritonavir (Kaletra®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Which drug resistance mutations your particular HIV virus has developed
- Your weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Lopinavir and Ritonavir Dosing for Adults
The recommended dose of lopinavir and ritonavir for treating adults with HIV or AIDS depends on the number of lopinavir resistance mutations your particular HIV virus has developed. If tests show that you have fewer than three different lopinavir resistance viral mutations, there are a few different lopinavir and ritonavir dosing options, including:
- Lopinavir and ritonavir 400 mg/100 mg (two tablets or 5 mL of oral solution) twice daily
- Lopinavir and ritonavir 800 mg/200 mg (four tablets or 10 mL of oral solution) once daily.
If you have three or more lopinavir resistance viral mutations, the once-daily dosing is not recommended. Therefore, the recommended dose for such situations is lopinavir and ritonavir 400 mg/100 mg (two tablets or 5 mL of oral solution) twice daily.
Your healthcare provider may suggest a higher dose if you are taking certain other HIV medications (see Drug Interactions With Lopinavir and Ritonavir).
Once-daily lopinavir and ritonavir dosing is not recommended for people taking the following medications:
- Carbamazepine (Carbatrol®, Epitol®, Equetro®, Tegretol®)
- Phenobarbital (Luminal®)
- Phenytoin (Dilantin®, Phenytek®).
For people taking these medications, the twice-a-day dosage should be used.