STD Home > General Instructions on Taking Loestrin
General Information on Dosing With LoestrinConsiderations for women using Loestrin include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- Each pack of Loestrin contains 21 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, wait seven days before starting the next one. You will probably start your period during this week, but be sure to start the next pack on schedule, no matter when your period starts.
- You can take Loestrin with or without food. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- It is important that you take Loestrin every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for a week.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Loestrin will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Loestrin dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.