STD Home > Important Instructions for Jolivette
It is very important that you take Jolivette every day (at the same time every day), even if you do not have sex very often. If you miss pills or if you are more than three hours late for any pills, take one missed pill as soon as you remember, then go back to your usual schedule. You need to use a backup method of birth control (such as condoms) for 48 hours after restarting the pills.
Irregular periods are a very common side effect of Jolivette. It is normal to have your period earlier or later than expected, and it is normal to have bleeding or spotting between periods. This is one of the disadvantages of Jolivette. However, you should make sure you are not pregnant if more than 45 days have passed between periods. You should also make sure you are not pregnant if your period is late and you have missed pills or taken pills late, especially if you did not use a backup method of birth control. In these situations, an over-the-counter pregnancy test works fine.
Considerations for people using Jolivette include the following:
- Jolivette comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- Missing Jolivette (or other progestin-only) pills or taking them late is more likely to result in pregnancy, compared with combined oral contraceptives. It is essential that you take them at exactly the same time every day.
- Each pack of Jolivette contains 28 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new pack right away.
- You may have your period early or late while taking Jolivette. Keep taking the pill either way; do not stop Jolivette during your period.
- You can take Jolivette with food or on an empty stomach. If the drug bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills or take them even a few hours late. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception (such as condoms).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Jolivette dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.