STD Home > Important Introvale Treatment Instructions
What to Do If You Miss a Dose of IntrovaleIt is very important that you take Introvale every day and at the same time every day, even if you do not have sex very often. Missing pills increases the risk of pregnancy. What you should do if you miss an Introvale dose depends on how many pills you have missed and when in the cycle the pills were missed.
If you miss one peach-colored pill (one of the first 84), take the missed pill as soon as you remember and take the next pill at your regular time, even if this means taking two pills at once. You do not need a backup method of contraception, as you will be adequately protected against pregnancy.
If you miss two peach-colored pills in a row, take two pills on the day you remember and two pills the next day. This should get you back on your regular schedule. You must use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, if you have sex in the seven days after you restart the pills.
If you miss three or more peach-colored pills in a row, skip the missed pills and continue with your usual schedule. You may become pregnant if you have sex during the days you missed these pills or within seven days of restarting Introvale. Make sure to use a backup method of contraception for seven days after you restart the pills. If you do not get your period as usual, or if you have other reasons to suspect that you may be pregnant, contact your healthcare provider.
If you miss any of the yellow pills (the last seven pills), throw away any of the pills you missed and continue as usual. You do not need to use a backup method of contraception, as long as you start your next pack on schedule.
General Information on Taking IntrovaleConsiderations to keep in mind during treatment with Introvale include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take a dosage of Introvale with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Introvale contains 91 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one right away. You will probably get your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- It is normal to experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods while taking Introvale. Keep taking the drug as normal.
- It is very important that you take Introvale every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Introvale will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage of Introvale, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.