STD Home > Fosamprenavir Dosing
Several fosamprenavir dosing options are available for people who have never taken protease inhibitors. For example, you can take fosamprenavir 1400 mg either twice daily or once daily with 100 or 200 mg of Norvir. Adults who have previously taken protease inhibitors may take 700 mg plus Norvir 100 mg twice daily. For children, fosamprenavir dosing is determined by the child's age and weight.
The dose of fosamprenavir calcium (Lexiva®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- Other HIV or AIDS medications you have taken in the past.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Fosamprenavir Dosing for AdultsThe recommended dose of fosamprenavir for treating adults with HIV or AIDS depends on whether fosamprenavir is combined with Norvir® (ritonavir) and whether other protease inhibitor medications have been tried in the past. Norvir is used to increase the level of fosamprenavir in the blood, making it more effective.
For adults who have never taken a protease inhibitor, the following fosamprenavir dosing options are recommended:
- Fosamprenavir 1400 mg twice daily (without Norvir)
- Fosamprenavir 1400 mg once daily plus Norvir 200 mg once daily
- Fosamprenavir 1400 mg once daily plus Norvir 100 mg once daily
- Fosamprenavir 700 mg twice daily plus Norvir 100 mg twice daily.
For adults who have taken a protease inhibitor medication before, the recommended dose is fosamprenavir 700 mg twice daily plus Norvir 100 mg twice daily. If you have liver disease, your healthcare provider will recommend a lower fosamprenavir dosage. The exact dosage will depend on the degree of your liver impairment.