STD Home > Precautions and Warnings With Etonogestrel/Ethinyl Estradiol Vaginal Ring
There are many important precautions and warnings with etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring to be aware of before starting the birth control. Make sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have high cholesterol, diabetes, or liver disease before using the vaginal ring. You should not use etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring if you have heart disease, a blood clotting disorder, or very high blood pressure.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring (NuvaRing®) if you have:
- Had a blood clot or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain
- Had a heart attack or stroke
- Very high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Yellowing of the eyes or skin during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- Gallbladder disease
- High cholesterol
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- Problems with your heart valves
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure).
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Will be having surgery
- Smoke cigarettes
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding.
You should also be sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.