STD Home > Important Info on Estrostep Fe
Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Estrostep Fe. However, not everyone who uses the contraceptive will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
- Breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods
- Nausea or vomiting
- Breast tenderness.
Drug InteractionsEstrostep Fe can interact with several other medications (see Estrostep Fe Drug Interactions).
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Estrostep Fe if you have:
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- A history of blood clots or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice) during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- High cholesterol
- Gallbladder disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Migraines or other severe headaches
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding.
- Smoke cigarettes
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Estrostep Fe and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Estrostep Fe and Breastfeeding).