STD Home > What You Need to Know About Emtricitabine
When and How to Take ItSome general considerations for when and how to take emtricitabine include the following:
- Emtricitabine comes in the form of a capsule and an oral solution (liquid). It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take a dose with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take emtricitabine at the same time every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking emtricitabine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to it, thereby making the drug less effective.
- Emtricitabine 200 mg capsules
- Emtricitabine 10 mg per mL oral solution (cotton candy-flavored).