STD Home > Answers to Questions on Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/Tenofovir
When and How to Take This MedicineSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir include the following:
- Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir comes as a tablet that is taken once a day with a meal. This means that the medicine must be taken with a full, "real" meal; a protein shake does not count as a meal.
- Try to take it at the same time every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking this medicine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir, potentially making the drug less effective.
Storage InformationEmtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir should be stored at room temperature, away from moisture, light, and heat. Keep the tablets in an airtight container. Keep emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir and all other medications out of the reach of children.
Is There a Generic Version?This medication is not available in generic form (see Generic Complera).
Who Makes Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/Tenofovir?Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir is made by Gilead Sciences, Inc.
Available StrengthsThis medication comes in one strength, containing the following active ingredients in the following amounts per tablet:
- Emtricitabine -- 200 mg
- Rilpivirine hydrochloride -- 27.5 mg (equivalent to 25 mg of rilpivirine)
- Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate -- 300 mg.