STD Home > Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/Tenofovir Dosage
When treating HIV or AIDS with emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir, the standard dosage is one tablet taken once daily with a meal. It is important to not miss any tablets, as it may cause HIV to build up a resistance to the medication. This drug is not approved for use in children and may not be suitable for people with moderate or severe kidney disease.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/TenofovirThere is only one standard dose for emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (Complera™), regardless of your age or weight. As always, do not adjust your emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/Tenofovir Dosing Guidelines for Treating HIV or AIDSThe standard dose for emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir is one tablet taken once a day with a meal. This medicine is not appropriate for people who need a lower dosage of any of the individual components, such as people with moderate or severe kidney disease.
Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir is approved only for use in adults. Therefore, there are no standard dosing recommendations for use in children.
This medication comes in one strength, containing the following active ingredients in the following amounts per tablet:
- Emtricitabine -- 200 mg
- Rilpivirine hydrochloride -- 27.5 mg (equivalent to 25 mg of rilpivirine)
- Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate -- 300 mg.
General Information on Taking Emtricitabine/Rilpivirine/TenofovirSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir include the following:
- Emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir comes as a tablet that is taken once a day with a meal. This means that the medicine must be taken with a full, "real" meal; a protein shake does not count as a meal.
- Try to take it at the same time every day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking the medicine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to emtricitabine/rilpivirine/tenofovir, potentially making it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage, please talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.