STD Home > Taking Emtricitabine and Tenofovir Safely
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take emtricitabine and tenofovir with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take emtricitabine and tenofovir at the same time every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking emtricitabine and tenofovir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to the drug, thereby making it less effective.
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.