STD Home > Important Information on Efavirenz
- The medication comes in tablet and capsule forms. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- Efavirenz should be taken on an empty stomach, preferably at bedtime.
- For young children (three months to three years old), the capsules can be opened and the contents mixed with soft food (like applesauce, grape jelly, or yogurt). Baby formula can be used instead, but only for children who cannot yet reliably eat soft food. No other food or formula should be given for two hours afterward.
- Try to take efavirenz at the same time every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking efavirenz. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to the medication, thereby making it less effective.
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.