STD Home > Taking Delavirdine Safely
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth three times a day.
- You can take delavirdine with or without food.
- People who do not produce stomach acid (known medically as achlorhydria) should take delavirdine with an acidic beverage (such as orange juice or cranberry juice), as stomach acid is necessary to absorb the drug into the bloodstream.
- Delavirdine 100 mg tablets (but not 200 mg tablets) can be mixed with water. Add four tablets to at least three ounces of water and wait for a few minutes. Stir the water and drink immediately. Afterwards, rinse the glass with water and drink the rinse water in order to make sure that you get the full dose (delavirdine can stick to the sides of the glass).
- Try to take delavirdine at the same times every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking delavirdine. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to delavirdine, thereby making it less effective.