STD Home > Understanding How CamreseLo Works and Treatment Instructions
How Does CamreseLo Work?
CamreseLo belongs to a group of medications known as combined oral contraceptives
. These birth control pills
contain a combination of a progestin (levonorgestrel) and an estrogen (ethinyl estradiol).
CamreseLo primarily prevents pregnancy by stopping ovulation (the maturation and release of eggs from the ovaries). However, it also prevents pregnancy in two other, minor ways. It alters the cervical mucus (the fluid of the cervix, which is the lower, narrow part of the uterus that is connected to the vagina), making it more difficult for sperm to enter the uterus. It also alters the lining of the uterus (the endometrium), making it less receptive to an embryo.
With CamreseLo, the hormone tablets are taken for 84 days, rather than the usual 21 days with most birth control pills. This allows for less frequent periods. There is no reason women need to have a monthly period while taking birth control pills. In fact, the "period" you experience while taking birth control pills isn't really a period at all. Because ovulation does not occur, the body does not prepare for a possible pregnancy by building up the lining of the uterus, so there is no need to shed the lining, as with a regular period. Instead, the "period" that occurs due to birth control pills is actually caused by a withdrawal of the hormones in the pills, which causes bleeding.
When and How to Take It
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with CamreseLo include the following:
- CamreseLo comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take this medication with or without food. If it seems to bother your stomach, try taking the pills with food.
- Each pack of CamreseLo contains 91 pills. Make sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one the next day. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- It is normal to experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods while taking CamreseLo. Keep taking the tablets as normal.
- It is important to take CamreseLo every day, at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.