STD Home > Drug Interactions With Amethyst
Cyclosporine, carbamazepine, and modafinil are just a few of the drugs that can interact with Amethyst. Some of these interactions can decrease the effectiveness of the contraceptive, increasing your risk of pregnancy. You may need to use a backup method of contraception if certain other medications are taken with Amethyst.
Just like any other birth control pill, Amethyst™ (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) can potentially react with several other medicines. Some of the drugs that may interact with Amethyst include:
- Aminoglutethimide (Cytadren®)
- Aprepitant (Emend®)
- Barbiturates, such as:
- Certain seizure medications, such as:
- Cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®)
- Modafinil (Provigil®)
- Protease inhibitors, such as:
- Selegiline (Eldepryl®, Emsam®, Zelapar®)
- St. John's wort
- Theophylline (Uniphyl®, Theocron®, TheoCap®, Theo-24®, Elixophyllin®).