STD Home > What Is Amethia Lo Used For?
As an extended-cycle oral contraceptive, Amethia Lo is used to prevent pregnancy and also allows for less frequent menstrual periods. There are also some occasions where a healthcare provider will prescribe this drug in an "off-label" fashion, such as for treating heavy menstrual bleeding, irregular menstrual periods, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. This generic version of LoSeasonique works by stopping ovulation and altering the cervical mucus and uterine lining.
An Overview of Uses for Amethia LoAmethia™ Lo (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) is a prescription birth control pill, also known as an oral contraceptive. It is a low-dose birth control pill, providing protection from pregnancy with a low dose of hormones, compared with older birth control pills. Unlike most birth control pills, Amethia Lo is an extended-cycle contraceptive, allowing for only four menstrual periods per year (once every three months).
Amethia Lo Uses for Birth ControlA variety of different birth control options are available today. While each method has its advantages and disadvantages, no particular one is right for all women. Some of the most common methods include:
- Barrier contraceptives: Condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps, and other methods that physically block the sperm from entering the uterus
- Spermicides: Foams, jellies, gels, suppositories, and inserts
- Periodic abstinence: Also known as natural family planning or the rhythm method, this involves avoiding intercourse during the fertile phase of your menstrual cycle
- Withdrawal: Removing the penis from the vagina prior to ejaculation
- Combined hormonal contraceptives: These contain a progestin and an estrogen and include most birth control pills, patches, and rings
- Progestin-only contraceptives: Some birth control pills ("mini-pills"), injections, and implants
- Intrauterine devices (IUDs): Implanted devices that are both effective and reversible
- Surgical sterilization: Tubal ligation (getting your "tubes tied," for women) or a vasectomy (for men).
Amethia Lo falls into the category of combined hormonal contraceptives, as it contains both an estrogen (ethinyl estradiol) and a progestin (levonorgestrel). Birth control pills are often a great contraceptive choice for many women. However, combined hormonal contraceptives may increase the risk for blood clots and other problems, and not all women should take them (see Precautions and Warnings With Amethia Lo for more information).
In addition to being easy to use and effective, Amethia Lo offers the following benefits:
- Less menstrual pain and cramping
- Lighter menstrual bleeding
- Regular, predictable menstrual periods
- A lower risk of ovarian cancer or endometrial cancer (cancer of the lining of the uterus).
As with almost all methods of birth control, combined hormonal contraceptives must be used correctly and consistently. It is also important to know that Amethia Lo does not protect against HIV or other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). In many situations, it is advisable to use condoms in addition to Amethia Lo to prevent transmission of STDs.