STD Home > Understanding How Amethia Lo Works and Treatment Instructions
How Does Amethia Lo Work?Amethia Lo belongs to a group of medications known as combined oral contraceptives. These birth control pills contain a combination of a progestin (levonorgestrel) and an estrogen (ethinyl estradiol). Combined oral contraceptives are the most commonly used type of birth control pill. In general, they are more effective than progestin-only birth control pills.
When and How to Use ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Amethia Lo include the following:
- Amethia Lo comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take this medication with or without food. If it seems to bother your stomach, try taking the pills with food.
- Each pack of Amethia Lo contains 91 pills. Make sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new one the next day. You will probably start your period during the last seven days of the pack.
- It is normal to experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods while taking Amethia Lo. Keep taking the tablets as normal.
- It is important to take Amethia Lo every day, at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime or breakfast. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.