STD Home > Alyacen Side Effects
Research on birth control pills like Alyacen has shown that some of the commonly reported reactions may include breast tenderness, headaches, and bloating. Although these types of reactions are typically minor, there are also some potentially serious side effects of Alyacen, such as a severe headache, loss of vision, or chest pain.
An Overview of Side Effects of Alyacen
Just like any medicine, Alyacen™ (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the contraceptive will have problems. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well.
If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Often, many of the bothersome side effects improve or completely go away within the first few cycles of use.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Alyacen. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Alyacen Side Effects to ReportSome Alyacen side effects are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of a stroke, such as:
- Weakness or numbness in an arm or leg
- Vision or speech changes
- Severe headache
- Signs of a blood clot in the leg, such as:
- Leg cramps
- Pain in the calf
- Leg or foot swelling
- Sudden loss of vision or vision changes, which can be a sign of a blood clot in the eye
- Signs of a blood clot in the lung, such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Sharp chest pain
- Coughing up blood
- Chest pain or heaviness, which may be signs of a heart attack
- Signs of liver damage, such as:
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice)
- Dark urine
- Upper-right abdominal (stomach) pain
- Depression or other emotional changes
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- Migraines (or changes in your migraines, if you have had them before)
- Breast lumps
- Heavy vaginal bleeding between periods (although light bleeding or spotting is normal)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
These serious side effects are not unique to Alyacen and may occur with most birth control pills.