STD Home > Discussing Abacavir With Your Healthcare Provider
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking abacavir if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure or cirrhosis
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Anemia, neutropenia, or any other low blood count or blood disorder
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Ziagen and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Ziagen and Breastfeeding)
- A smoker.
Dosing InformationThe dose of abacavir your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.