More Details on Depo-Provera
Drug InteractionsDepo-Provera may react with a number of other medicines (see Depo-Provera Drug Interactions).
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderTalk with your healthcare provider prior to receiving this medication if you have:
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- Breast cancer, a family history of breast cancer, or a personal history of breast cancer
- An abnormal mammogram or breast problems, such as breast lumps or bleeding from your nipples
- Irregular menstrual periods
- Heart disease
- A history of a heart attack, stroke, or blood clots
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Liver disease, such as hepatitis, cirrhosis, or liver failure
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Osteoporosis or a history of fracturing a bone, or have a family history of osteoporosis
- Migraine headaches
- Seizures (epilepsy)
- An alcohol problem or drink large quantities of alcohol
- Anorexia nervosa (an eating disorder)
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Smoke cigarettes
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Depo-Provera and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Depo-Provera and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Depo-Provera Warnings and Precautions to learn more, including information on who should not use the drug.)