Taking Darunavir Safely
General considerations for when and how to take darunavir include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet and oral suspension (liquid) form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice daily.
- Darunavir should be taken with food.
- For the liquid form, be sure to shake it well just before each dose.
- Try to take darunavir at the same times every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions about taking darunavir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing resistance to the drug, thereby making it less effective.
The dose of darunavir that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Whether you have taken other HIV medications before
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Darunavir Dosing for more information.)
Darunavir can interact with a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Darunavir).