Although the dosing guidelines for Cyclafem call for one tablet per day, preferably taken at the same time each day, you have two different options for when you first start taking this birth control pill. Missing pills is not advised, as it increases the chance of pregnancy; what to do if you miss a dose will depend on where you are in the cycle, among other things.
Basic Dosing Instructions for CyclafemNo matter what strength of Cyclafem™ (norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol) you take, start at the beginning of the pack, taking one tablet daily, at the same time each day. Each pack will last for 28 days (four weeks). After you finish one pack, immediately start a new one the next day. Do not let any days pass between packs, even if you are still having your period.
The first 21 tablets contain the active ingredients. The last seven tablets do not contain any hormones. During this last week, your body gets a little break from the hormones, allowing you to have a period. Sometimes, you may have breakthrough bleeding or spotting between periods. If this happens, keep taking Cyclafem as usual.
As always, do not adjust your Cyclafem dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so. Although the drug is effective when taken as directed, not taking it correctly greatly increases the risk of pregnancy.
- Cyclafem 1/35 -- 1 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 mg (35 mcg) of ethinyl estradiol per active tablet (in the first 21 tablets of each pack), followed by 7 inactive tablets that do not contain any hormones
- Cyclafem 7/7/7 -- Contains 28 tablets in each pack, with the following different phases:
- Day 1 to 7 -- 0.5 mg norethindrone and 0.035 mg (35 mcg) of ethinyl estradiol per tablet
- Day 8 to 14 -- 0.75 mg norethindrone and 0.035 mg (35 mcg) of ethinyl estradiol per tablet
- Day 15 to 21 -- 1 mg of norethindrone and 0.035 mg (35 mcg) of ethinyl estradiol per tablet
- Day 22 to 28 -- No active ingredients.