Giving Amprenavir to Children and Treatment Tips
Amprenavir Dosing for ChildrenYour child's healthcare provider will calculate the amprenavir dose based on your child's age and weight. Because amprenavir oral solution contains propylene glycol, which is dangerous in large amounts, children should be switched from the solution to capsules as soon as they can swallow capsules. For children, amprenavir is taken two or three times daily.
It is important to note that amprenavir solution and amprenavir capsules are not equivalent on a mg-per-mg basis. In other words, 50 mg of amprenavir solution is not equivalent to a 50-mg amprenavir capsule.
General Information on Dosing With AmprenavirConsiderations for people taking amprenavir include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of a capsule and an oral solution (liquid). It is usually taken by mouth two or three times daily.
- You can take amprenavir with or without food. However, you should not take amprenavir with a high-fat meal, as this will decrease the absorption of the drug from the digestive tract.
- Try to take amprenavir at the same times every day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions on taking amprenavir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to the medication, thereby making it less effective.
- If you are unsure about anything related to amprenavir dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.