Reviewing Amethyst With Your Doctor
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to using Amethyst if you have:
- Problems with your heart valves
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice) during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- Gallbladder disease
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A history of blood clots or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, hepatitis, or liver tumors
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Smoke cigarettes
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Lybrel and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Lybrel and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Amethyst to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)