Discussing Alyacen With Your Healthcare Provider
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking this contraceptive if you have:
- Heart disease
- A history of a heart attack or stroke
- A history of blood clots or a clotting disorder
- Chest pain (angina)
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Liver disease, such as liver failure, cirrhosis, or hepatitis
- Cancer (or if you have had cancer in the past)
- Undiagnosed abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Yellowing of the whites of the eyes or skin (jaundice) during a prior pregnancy or oral contraceptive use
- High cholesterol
- Gallbladder disease
- Any allergies, including to dyes, foods, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are over 35 years old
- Smoke cigarettes
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Ortho-Novum and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Ortho-Novum and Breastfeeding).
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medications you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Alyacen to learn more, including information on who should not take this contraceptive.)