Treatment Instructions for Abacavir
When and How to Take This MedicationSome general considerations to keep in mind when taking abacavir include the following:
- Abacavir comes in the form of a tablet and an oral solution (liquid). It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- You can take abacavir with or without food. If the medicine bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Try to take abacavir at the same time(s) every day, to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It is very important that you closely follow your healthcare provider's instructions for taking abacavir. Missing doses can increase the chance of the virus developing a resistance to abacavir (making it less effective).
- Abacavir 300 mg tablets
- Abacavir 20 mg per mL oral solution (strawberry-banana flavor).
Can I Buy Generic Abacavir?
This medication is available in generic form (see Generic Ziagen).