Discussing Abacavir With Your Healthcare Provider
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderYou should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking abacavir if you have:
- Liver disease, such as liver failure or cirrhosis
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart disease
- Anemia, neutropenia, or any other low blood count or blood disorder
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Ziagen and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Ziagen and Breastfeeding)
- A smoker.
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all of the other medicines you are taking, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
(Click Precautions and Warnings With Abacavir to learn more, including information on who should not take the drug.)
Dosing InformationThe dose of abacavir your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Your weight (for children)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As always, do not adjust your abacavir dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Abacavir Dosing for more information.)